Thursday, April 7, 2011

Sound/Weather Proofing

Got a roll of Sound insulation:
Acoustical Polyurethane Foam Absorber, Adhesive Back, Skinned, 1/2" Thick, 54" W
Mccaster-Carr part# 5692T61

Bought some  3M Adhesive spray
Cheap insurance
Wanted to make sure the foam stuck

You can also see the door gasket
It's from a Kia Sportage. 2003.
An excellent alternative to $$$ stock door gaskets
Crappy fitting $$$ Aftermarket door gaskets


Needed an alternative to the gaskets for the hatch
I have the aftermarket versions, but don't like the idea of using silicone

Here's what I used:

Edge-Grip Rubber Seal, Bulb Opposite Grabber, 1/8" Edge, 5/8" Bulb W
Part #1120A231
Adhesive Back Foam Rubber Bulb Seal, 1/2" Overall Width, 1/2" Overall Height, 1/4" ID, 10' L
Part# 93085K13


It may be a little overkill, but the hatch is def sealed.
The hatch is a little hard to close. A little too hard.
I may just need some time to break in. 
Time will tell.


  1. Thanks for the tips on the gaskets. This will come in handy on my project.

  2. No prob. I found most of the info @, a website I'm sure you are aware of.

    Nice blog! Looks like you have a 112 Z as well.