Tuesday, December 28, 2010
Tuesday, December 21, 2010
Just a small update. No Pics.
I finally finished the outside of the car.
Bumpers mounted. Rear valance on. Wheels mounted.
Lots of other small things.
I've moved on to the interior.
First thing was to put on a coat of Chassis Saver.
Then I installed some sound deadening/heat insulation.
I got a COMPLETE vinyl interior kit from my wife for my birthday. That'll be the next task.
I'm hoping to get new interior plastics for Christmas from the same awesome wife.
I still need to install the rear coilovers and roll the fenders before the car is presentable,
As a result, don't expect a pic of the full car anytime soon.
Here is a rant:
Dont ever pay someone their full asking price until ALL work is done.
Even if the dude seems trustworthy.
Even if the guy is a friend.
DONT PAY UNTIL EVERYTHING IS DONE.
It took my painter 6 months AFTER he painted my car to get me my bumpers.
Because I already paid him.
He had the money already so whats the incentive?
Sunday, December 5, 2010
Make a "booth"
Prime & re-sand & re-clean
Mix paint & shoot
I used a single stage urethane enamel for ease of application & durability
Let dry for at least 24HR
Sit back & Enjoy
Thursday, November 25, 2010
I took the wheels in to have them blasted.
Came out good.
However, I think the rear wheels are not authentic.
Some kind of copy as the logo is missing from the face of the wheel.
Don't know why I never noticed.
I got screwed.
They came of a hakosuka so they could be super old...before they started "branding" them.
Too many tires.
And a random pillow???
And a random pillow???
Wednesday, November 17, 2010
For those of you with Trip Webs here is a cheap AN Banjo Fitting:
Although designed for a Civic fuel rail, it works perfectly on my DCOEs.
A much cheaper alternative to those banjos marketed to specifically fit DCOEs ($30).
Probably the same shit.
You could also just run a striaght fitting out the side or top(where the filter is), but I like the way Banjos look.
Friday, November 12, 2010
Tuesday, November 2, 2010
Thursday, October 28, 2010
Trying to wrap up the engine bay.
I took great care to hide as many things in the engine bay as I could.
The majority of the wiring was moved to inside the fender well. Lots of rewiring to achieve this.
Even the ignition coil is located outside the engine bay.
There are still a few wires I have to eliminate/tuck.
Primarily those concerned with the function of the distributor.
Also need to cover that nasty orange foam/rubber sleeve protecting the speedo cable.
To mask it I will use expandable sleeving:
This shit rocks. The diameter of the sleeve conforms to the diameter of the object it encompasses.
I used it in all my wiring. A nice professional look. Not like that plastic pepboys crap.
Here's a closer shot:
You can see the speedo cable I was reffering to at the rear of the block.
Also, you can see the trigger wires hanging off the distributor.
Gotta tuck that coil wire closer to the enging block.
Wednesday, October 20, 2010
Finally got the timing right.
The only time the valves had been adjusted is when I assembled the head
Did a hot valve job. Seemed to tidy things up a little tiny bit.
Still ran like crap. Hiccuping all over the place.
Timing was something crazy @ idle. Jumping around between 30 & 40.
Thats the best I could get it when I first got the engine running.
Busted out the Harbor Freight timing light.
Said "Fuck It" and took the locking bolt off the distributor collar
Started rotating the distributor some crazy amount & got the timing around +/- 20.
No more hiccuping, no more jumping around, runs great.
Also ordered some new idle jets. 45F9 was way too lean. So I figured 55F9 would be ideal.
Black smoke out the tailpipe & no response from messing with the mixture screws.
50F9s are in the mail
Also got a 18" 2.5"dia Magnaflow Magnapack to weld in right after the header.
The single 2.5"in, dual 2" out Gibson Superflow at the rear of the car is way too loud.
Video of exhaust before & after coming soon.
Thursday, October 14, 2010
I feel clueless when it comes to these carbs
Got the new idle jets in.
The result was black smoke out the tail pipe and lots of it.
Next paycheck I'm investing in a wideband so I can get a handle on this.