Thursday, October 28, 2010

Wrapping Up

Trying to wrap up the engine bay.
I took great care to hide as many things in the engine bay as I could.
The majority of the wiring was moved to inside the fender well. Lots of rewiring to achieve this.
Even the ignition coil is located outside the engine bay.

There are still a few wires I have to eliminate/tuck.
Primarily those concerned with the function of the distributor.

Also need to cover that nasty orange foam/rubber sleeve protecting the speedo cable.
To mask it I will use expandable sleeving:
 This shit rocks. The diameter of the sleeve conforms to the diameter of the object it encompasses.
I used it in all my wiring. A nice professional look. Not like that plastic pepboys crap.

Here's a closer shot:
You can see the speedo cable I was reffering to at the rear of the block.
Also, you can see the trigger wires hanging off the distributor.
Gotta tuck that coil wire closer to the enging block.

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Wednesday, October 20, 2010


Finally got the timing right.
The only time the valves had been adjusted is when I assembled the head
Did a hot valve job. Seemed to tidy things up a little tiny bit.
Still ran like crap. Hiccuping all over the place.
Timing was something crazy @ idle. Jumping around between 30 & 40.
Thats the best I could get it when I first got the engine running.
Busted out the Harbor Freight timing light.
Said "Fuck It" and took the locking bolt off the distributor collar
 Started rotating the distributor some crazy amount & got the timing around +/- 20.
No more hiccuping, no more jumping around, runs great.

Also ordered some new idle jets. 45F9 was way too lean. So I figured 55F9 would be ideal.
Black smoke out the tailpipe & no response from messing with the mixture screws.
50F9s are in the mail

Also got a 18" 2.5"dia Magnaflow Magnapack to weld in right after the header.

The single 2.5"in, dual 2" out Gibson Superflow at the rear of the car is way too loud.
Video of exhaust before & after coming soon.

Thursday, October 14, 2010


I feel clueless when it comes to these carbs
Got the new idle jets in.
The result was black smoke out the tail pipe and lots of it.
Next paycheck I'm investing in a wideband so I can get a handle on this.

Monday, October 11, 2010

Waiting Game

Im waiting for some carb idle jets to come in.
The wait is killing me. Its been a week already.
In the mean time:

Lots more I'll save for later.
I started collecting pics back in 01 when I was 17

Thursday, October 7, 2010


New (to me) wheels coming in the mail.

That will make 6 sets and 1 pair of wheels for the z.
  • Stockers - (4)14x5
  • Konig Rewinds in S.E. matte black (whoopie!) - (4)14x7
  • Old Watanabe R-type - (4)14x6 (2)14x9
  • Solid Center Centerlines - (4)15x9
  • Epsilon/Southern Ways 3-Piece baskets - (4)15x7 (2)15x7.5 (2)15x9.5
Need to get rid of some

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Its called magic.

Replaced all the indicator bulbs w/LED bulbs. This cause the old Flasher relay (536) will not work. The LED bulbs don't pull enough wattage to trigger the old relay.

An easy fix is to head to the auto store and pickup a standard 552 relay ($5). If you want extra insurance that it will work, pick up an electronic version ($7).

The 240z will need 2 relays. 1 for the turn signal relay and 1 for the hazard relay.

Old Relay (536):

Packaging for new relay (552):

The Magic:

As you can see the 552 works perfectly.